NHS England commissioned Skills for Health to develop a Non-custodial Career and Competence Framework. Building on previous work to develop Career and Competence Frameworks for Liaison & Diversion services, the Adult Secure and Detained Estate and Children and Young People (complex needs pathway), the Non-custodial Career and Competence Framework will ensure that identified roles within Healthcare in Criminal Court Settings, Mental Health Treatment Requirements and RECONNECT and Enhanced RECONNECT services have clearly articulated competences for each identified role, the learning and development required, as well as any necessary on-going professional development.
This new framework will include the profiles for the roles identified within the previously developed framework for Liaison & Diversion services, to ensure all services in the non-custodial pathway sit within one overarching framework.
The Non-custodial Career and Competence Framework has been designed as part of the NHS England Health and Justice Inclusive Workforce Programme, which aims to ‘improve the recruitment and retention of a larger, more diverse, inclusive and representative workforce for all Health & Justice services and programmes’.
This framework will help ensure that identified roles within non-custodial services are clearly outlined, are aligned with other Health and Justice roles, and that career progression pathways are in place. It will facilitate greater workforce flexibility and movement of staff across the non-custodial pathway, as well as support staff recruitment and retention.
Download the Framework
See the role profiles
Please click below to download each of the following role profiles.
Liaison and Diversion Service
- Volunteer Level 2
- Administrator (non-custodial pathway) Level 3
- Peer Support Worker Level 3
- Engagement Worker Level 4
- Senior Administrator (non-custodial pathway) Level 4
- Practitioner Level 5
- Specialist Practitioner Level 6
- Operational and Service Manager Level 7
- Strategic Manager Level 8
Healthcare in Criminal Court Settings
Mental Health Treatment Requirement
RECONNECT and Enhanced RECONNECT
- RECONNECT and Enhanced RECONNECT Administrator (non-custodial pathway) Level 3
- RECONNECT and Enhanced RECONNECT Peer Support Worker Level 3
- RECONNECT and Enhanced RECONNECT Engagement Worker Level 4
- RECONNECT and Enhanced RECONNECT Senior Engagement Worker Level 5
- RECONNECT Clinician/Clinical Lead Level 6
- Enhanced RECONNECT Clinical Lead Level 7
- RECONNECT and Enhanced RECONNECT Service Manager Level 7