With a highly mobile workforce, employers often need to assess the quality of new recruits’ previous training. Where information is lacking, people can repeat training unnecessarily, wasting time and money.
The Core Skills Training Framework addresses this issue. It allows employers to recognise training to a standard, trust that information and reduce duplication of training.
The original Core Skills Framework for statutory/mandatory subjects has now been extended to include selected clinical/care subjects.
For each subject, detailed learning outcomes, standards and guidance are available in a number of Framework documents (e.g. Subject Guides and Mapping Tools).
- To register and access the Framework documents click here.
CSTF aligned healthcare providers
Healthcare providers which have mapped their in-house training to the Framework are eligible to submit a Declaration of Alignment, confirming which of their training programmes are aligned to the Framework subjects. Aligned healthcare provider organisations are listed on a Directory; by sharing this information, employer organisations can recognise where training delivered in other organisations is in compliance with the Framework and thereby help to prevent unnecessary duplication of training as staff move between roles and organisations.
- See the Directory of Aligned Healthcare Providers here
NB. The Directory of Aligned Healthcare Providers is open to healthcare providers, delivering in-house staff training (e.g. NHS Trusts) and to public sector education institutions which have incorporated the requirements of the Framework within curricula. The Directory is not intended as a list of ‘approved’ training providers and commercial training provider organisations are included in a separate Directory.
CSTF aligned commercial training suppliers
The CSTF is available for any organisation or individual to access. Any organisation may choose to complete its own self-assessment of alignment to the CSTF by completing the CSTF mapping tool. Such organisations may choose to describe their training provision as ‘aligned to the CSTF’. However, such organisations are not permitted to state or imply any assurance or endorsement from Skills for Health.
During 2016, Skills for Health is developing a new quality assurance and verification process for commercial organisations aligning the content of their training provision to the CSTF. Organisations which have had their course content verified by Skills for Health as aligning to the CSTF are listed on a CSTF Directory of Aligned Commercial Training Suppliers.
- See the Directory of Aligned Commercial Training Suppliers here
For further information about the verification process and fees, please contact the Skills Framework Manager (see contact details below).
Benefits for your organisation and your workforce
- The Framework can be used by any healthcare employer in the UK
- Used by NHS and independent healthcare providers, bank staff and agency organisations, and educational organisations
- Gives confidence that training standards have been met
- Standardises the interpretation of statutory/mandatory or clinical/care training
- Guides the focus and aims of training delivery
- Ensures the educational relevance of the training
- Can improve the quality and consistency of training provision
- Applicable across all four UK countries
Statutory/Mandatory subjects in the UK Core Skills Training Framework
1 Equality, diversity and human rights
2 Equality, diversity and human rights (Scotland)
3 Health, safety and welfare
4 NHS conflict resolution (England)
5 Fire safety
6 Infection prevention and control
7 Moving and handling
8 Safeguarding adults
8a Preventing Radicalisation
9 Safeguarding children
11 Information governance
12 Information governance (Scotland)
13 Information governance (Wales)
14 Violence and aggression (Wales)
Clinical/Care subjects in the UK Core Skills Training Framework
- Your healthcare career
- Duty of care
- Person-centred care
- Privacy and dignity
- Fluids and nutrition
- Dementia awareness
- Blood component transfusion
Dementia Core Skills Education and Training Framework (England)
In October 2015, Skills for Health, Health Education England and Skills for Care launched a Dementia Core Skills Education and Training Framework for England. Organisations will in future be able to map and align their dementia training to the framework, covering the following subjects:
- Dementia awareness
- Dementia identification, assessment and diagnosis
- Dementia risk reduction and prevention
- Person-centred dementia care
- Communication, interaction and behaviour in dementia care
- Health and well-being in dementia care
- Pharmacological interventions in dementia care
- Living well with dementia and promoting independence
- Families and carers as partners in dementia care
- Equality diversity and inclusion in dementia care
- Law, ethics and safeguarding in dementia care
- End of life dementia care
- Research and evidence-based practice in dementia care
- Leadership in transforming dementia care
Making a difference – reporting to a single standard
- The Framework defines expected learning outcomes and standards of training
- Covers common statutory/mandatory and clinical/care training subjects within the health sector
- Linkages between the Framework, E-Learning, WIRED compliance reporting and the Skills Register / Passport puts all the right information in the hands of employers in a new and powerful way
- Using these tools together, data can be shared across the organisation, regions and networks in a cost effective way
- New standards being added on a continuing basis including Dementia CSTF
How it impacts on your organisation
- Saves time and money by giving you the confidence to accept previous employers’ training and avoid overtraining
- Rationalise costs, training only those that need it
- Once registered, employers can access the Framework online, with support from our technical team
- Healthcare providers aligned to the Framework may be included in our Directory – helps avoid unnecessary duplication if recruiting staff from other organisations who are delivering compliant training
CSTF competencies on the NHS Electronic Staff Record (ESR)
- A suite of National Competencies based upon the CSTF has been added to the NHS Electronic Staff Records (ESR). In England and Wales, the CSTF National Competencies can be used by NHS organisations utilising the ESR OLM functionality for recording and reporting training activity which has met the requirements of the CSTF.
NB. The CSTF National Competencies on ESR must only be used by NHS organisations which have submitted their CSTF Declaration of Alignment. The ESR Central Team provides quarterly reports to Skills for Health - these reports are audited to ensure that only those organisations listed on the CSTF Directory are using the CSTF National Competencies on ESR.
Comments from Framework users
- It is an excellent guide to best practice and clarifies what all providers need to be delivering
- We feel it should become a statutory requirement and part of CQC and other auditors requirements
- I believe this framework makes statutory & mandatory training easily transferable
- Useful docs when linked to other similar national training and development standards such as the Intercollegiate Document (2014)
- We are still only part way through them but it has enabled us to "Re-brand" Statutory and Mandatory training for staff to a framework of core and essential skills that they must complete in order to fulfil their role.
- We see the greatest benefit of the framework as providing consistency between providers meaning that training can be recognised when employees and healthcare students move between organisations
- I was delighted to see this initiative and think it is the best thing Skills for Health have done.
- This has been a useful framework in enabling us to benchmark against other Trusts and clarify learning outcomes to ensure that overtraining is not taking place.
- Has significantly helped rationalise training both in terms of timing and frequency, it supported discussion at subject matter expert level.
To register your organisation and access the Framework click here.
To view the Directory of Aligned Organisations click here
Click the links below to download reports of recent CSTF User Surveys: