The Musculoskeletal Core Capabilities Framework is aimed at practitioners who will be the first point of contact for people with musculoskeletal (MSK) conditions.
The delivery of high quality MSK care and successfully meeting the increasing demands on healthcare services relies on developing a skilled and well-integrated multidisciplinary workforce. This capability framework aims to ensure that the range of health professionals who provide care for people with MSK problems are equipped to consistently deliver person-centred care, can play a full role in helping to manage problems appropriately at the first point of contact and help towards achieving better outcomes across the system.
The framework was commissioned by Health Education England and NHS England, building upon work previously undertaken by the national programme delivered by the Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Alliance (ARMA) and its member organisations. It has been endorsed by organisations such as the Royal College of GPs and Public Health England.
The framework comprises 14 Capabilities in four domains:
Domain A. Person-Centred Approaches
- Capability 1. Communication
- Capability 2. Person-centred care
Domain B. Assessment, Investigation and Diagnosis
- Capability 3. History-taking
- Capability 4. Physical assessment
- Capability 5. Investigations and diagnosis
Domain C. Condition Management, Interventions and Prevention
- Capability 6. Prevention and lifestyle interventions
- Capability 7. Self-management and behaviour change
- Capability 8. Pharmacotherapy
- Capability 9. Injection therapy
- Capability 10. Surgical interventions
- Capability 11. Rehabilitative interventions
- Capability 12. Interventions and care planning
- Capability 13. Referrals and collaborative working
Domain D. Service and Professional Development
- Capability 14. Evidence-based practice and service development
Download the framework
Sign up to receive updates from Skills for Health
By signing up to our monthly newsletter, HealthView, you can hear all the latest news and developments on our work, including any framework consultations or launches.